<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Knittin' Gal
trials & tribulations
of a newbie knitter

And The Journey Continues...

Tuesday, March 22, 2005
One of the things that I've recently learnt is that frogging is NOT pleasant. I was almost in tears when I decided to pull apart all my hard work. Still, it is a good lesson in what NOT to forget to do... a very good lesson in gauges. I don't think I'll ever forget to check my gauge again. So, on day 5:


Cozy on Day 5 became

this.

Suffice to say, another one of the lessons I learnt on this day is that one should never ever cast on and start all over when one is irritated with one's self! I had to start over a fair few times as I wanted to get my project back to it's original state ASAP. I knitted way into the wee hours of the morning. Suffice to say, I made a lot of mistakes. I did think of tearing the whole thing apart again but I after so many attempts, the yarn was getting rather icky so rather than waste it, I decided to bite the bullet and put up with my mistakes. My friend is just going to have to understand that I am not a machine... to err is human after all. Besides, I think that my mistakes give the project a "human" touch. Besides, when I showed my work to the gals at the KL Knitting Meetup Group , they couldn't pick out the mistakes :o) :o) :o).

It was slow going there for a while... another important lesson is that one should never EVER drink copious amounts of wine when knitting, especially when one is attempting a lacy pattern and isn't a very good knitter. Mistakes abound... irritation grew... knits became purls and purls became knits. Counting becomes a challenge, stitches merged, eyes hurt... oh the list goes on and on and on.

Anyways, I met up with the gals on Saturday and I discovered, by accident, that there is this WONDERFUL invention called a needle marker!! Oh lordi, lordi, lordi... it was almost an orgasmic experience when I found it. Didn't know it existed. It's basically a plastic ring that knitters put on their needles to mark the beginning or end of patterns. Up till then, I'd been counting and counting and counting and at times, using a line marker to mark the stitches. This needle marker thingie made everything easier!! I am zooooming down the pattern highway now, it isn't a one way street but a free flowing highway!



it's a miracle

So, on day 10, my work is now progressing nicely... despite all the unnoticable mistakes. I've caught up to where I was before and even though I can be somewhat careless at times, life sure is a lot easier with needle markers!!

where I am at... 1.75 balls down, 3.25 to go
My knitting library is also growing. Mona sold me this great book, 100 Afghan Squares by Debbie Abrahams. It is a glorious book and I can't wait to start work on some of the patterns in there. My yarn / wool stash has somehow doubled in size since I started this blog so I have heaps to work with. My blankie is taking on a brand new direction!


Debbie Abrahams
Being a book loving fiend, I can't wait to expand my knitting library. My brother recently presented me with heaps of book vouchers as a birthday gift so Kinokuniya here I come!! Hehehehe... an online search revealed that they have greatly increased their variety of knitting related books. I can't wait to go check them out!!
10:25 am :: ::
2 Comments:
  • Wow, that is really a great progress and its definately look nice.

    Happy Knitting.

    By Blogger Doreen, at 11:38 am  
  • That's terrific progress! I never noticed any mistakes if any (when we met) so I think you did a wonderful job covering up *heh heh* Anyway, it's always such a pleasure to watch another local knitter enjoy the craft so much although it can be frustrating at times. But the end result and feeling of accomplishment is well worth the pain!

    By Blogger knitties, at 11:26 pm  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Knittin Gal :: permalink