<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Knittin' Gal
trials & tribulations
of a newbie knitter

An Obsession

Wednesday, March 23, 2005
I work from home and believe me when I tell you that discipline is a HUGE HUGE problem. Don't get me wrong, I do like the benefits of working from home e.g. I don't have to waste time in traffic, I don't have to get dressed up to go to work (tip: having a bra on when working from home is a necessity) etc. Now I find that my productivity level has greatly diminished and it is all because of two 5mm sticks and some cotton yarn.

I have found that knitting is becoming an obsession right now. I can't seem to stop! I take extended lunches and during lunch, I make sure that whatever I am consuming can be eaten with one hand. When I am sitting in front of the computer supposedly trying to do some work, I find my hands are twitching for the comforting feel of my bamboo needles. If I somehow manage to ignore the urge to pick up my knitting, I find myself browsing the many, MANY knitting websites or maybe even rambling on here.

I wonder if this is normal? On average, I spend at least 4 to 5 hours a day knitting. Admittedly, I was going slow but now, I find that I am going heaps, HEAPS faster. The romance in my relationship has gone down the tubes as I am so absorbed in my current project. The BF now has to sit in one of the two barker lounges (yes, yes, yes I know... I can't stand those things either) when we watch telly as he gets in the way of my needles. We used to cuddle up on the sofa but now, that is not possible. I LOVE seeing my project grow and believe me when I say that it is GROWING. See below if you don't believe me.

Day 11

Yawp, it is growing faster than weeds fed with fertiliser.

Then, I've been having some dental problems and I've spent a LOT of time recently on the dentist chair. Whilst staring up at the ceiling, littered with Disney comic characters (who, with the exception of Pluto, has NO teeth), I wanted to knit. Yawp, right in the middle of my root canal, I wanted to knit. I kept thinking that this is an unproductive waste of knitting time!

I'll be leaving for a diving trip late next month for a whole week and already I am trying to figure out if I can bring my knitting with me. The BF isn't going to be too happy if I do as we are already going to be overweight (diving gear is HEAVY). Maybe if I bring limited clothes... I mean, all I need is my swim suit right?? I'll just wear my wetsuit during the day and nothing at night?? But then I keep thinking of the 7 hour boat ride... what am I going to do then? Knit? If I do, what happens to yarn if salt water gets on it? Oooohhhhh...

My other hobbies are suffering as all I want to do is to sit and knit. The BF is looking after our aquarium now, the new books I got is sitting untouched on my bed side table, my foray into the culinary world has been put on the back burner, the apartment isn't as tidy as it used to be, I don't go out socially as much (well, except for knitting meets) and my journal writing has suffered. I wonder if there is a knitters anonymous out there? Then, to top it all off, my left hand is starting to cramp up, the onset of arthritis perhaps or maybe a knitting type injury, much like how tennis players get tennis elbow?

Then, as the icing on the cake, I am now scouring the catacombs of the Internet looking for my next project! I haven't even completed my first one yet, my hodge podge blankie has been put on hold and I am looking for a new one!! Oh geez... I think I need help! Back to work, back to work, back to work, back to work, back to work....

8:56 am :: ::
2 Comments:
  • Time to try circulars again for the diving trip? :P You are making so much progress with the shawl! Really lovely..:)

    By Blogger Laura.Y, at 10:27 am  
  • Jackie
    welcome to the dark side!!!
    :)
    Mona

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 pm  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Knittin Gal :: permalink