<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Knittin' Gal
trials & tribulations
of a newbie knitter

Am Back

Friday, May 06, 2005
It's been a while since I last updated my blog. No excuses but in my defense, I've been away. I went to Derawan for a week's worth of diving in what I can only describe as ridiculously strong current and I now know what it feels like to be in a whirlpool washing machine. Not a pleasant experience and I am glad to be back.


On the knitting front, well, sad to say that my projects have been on hold somewhat. I made yet another mistake with my Ripple Shawl. Believe it or not, I took my knitting with me when I went on the trip. Tip: when going on trips such as this where it takes 2 three hour boat rides to get to the island, circular needles are the way to go! I would have been bored out of my brain sitting in a boat for that long. I was upset that I couldn't bring my knitting with me on the plane though *sigh*.




Half way through my 6 balls and the shawl isn't half as long as I had hoped it would be, not even close actually *sigh*


So, the mistake in my ripple shawl... well, I didn't buy enough yarn. I realised this early on and ripped out my work and made the entire shawl narrower. I had thought that the yarn would be enough but I was wrong. I miscalculated the length required by the pattern *sigh*. I'm using ZARA Merino Extra Fine in a turquoisey colour and it is a treat to knit with it believe you me, especially after the KSH. I'm about 2 balls short believe it or not. Am NOT impressed with myself. What ANOTHER stupid mistake!!




A close up


I tried going back to the shop where I'd originally purchased the wool but it was closed (it hasn't been good on the knit front for me). I'll be making another trip there this weekend. Fingers crossed it'll be opened and she has more stock (although I don't think so as I seem to remember buying her entire stock). Solution? Well, if she doesn't have any more in the colour I want, I might buy two balls of another colour and make it a multi coloured piece of work. Or, if that doesn't work, I just I am just going to have to comb the vast catacombs of the Internet for a measly two balls!


My Kiri Shawl has also been put on hold but I have to say that I've been happy with my progress. If I remember correctly, I'm now on my 4th or 5th repeat. The reason why it's been put on hold is because the straight needles I have just aren't long enough!! I ordered some Addi Turbo needles through the group but I haven't had the time to meet up with the gals to pick them up. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up sometime this weekend. I need to knit. Need to knit. Need to knit!




After 4 or 5 patten repeats, the stitches are ready to fall off the needles!




A close up


I seem to have fallen into the trap of starting a new project without finishing my previous ones! I don't know what's become of me! Well, I did start doing the Kiri Shawl in KSH but I ditched that idea after multiple failures. So, instead of wasting the yarn, I decided to try making a scarf out of it, using the Ripple Pattern (I LIKE this pattern). I made good progress (it is ever so much easier using it in double strand (is this what you call it??). Well, somehow, I found that I made a lot of mistakes in the process and now I can't seem to bring myself to frog it and start all over. If you look closely, you'll see a safety pin on the work... I dropped this stitch somehow and I didn't realise it till I was way along the project. This is going to be a long, on going project I can tell you. Here is the progress:




My KSH Ripple Scarf

8:57 am :: ::
1 Comments:
  • I definitely agree with you, Zara is such a treat to knit with. I absolutely love that yarn, only that I think it's a bit pricey. I bought it for RM 30. Well, KSH is not cheap either, but at least I bought it using my dad's cc ;p

    By Blogger yuvee, at 8:17 pm  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Knittin Gal :: permalink